Vapourtec Announce a new Slurry Capable Pump Module
Vapourtec have announced a new addition to the range of pump modules available for the R-Series™ system. In addition to the standard, acid resistant and high pressure there is now a special suspension / slurry capable version.
What Exactly Can It Do ?
The new module has all the same control and data logging functionality as the standard pump. With some additional pumping capabilities:
- Suspensions and light slurries
- Particularly suitable for organometallic reagents
- Metering gases
- Self priming
- Strong acids
- a R2-S can be added to an existing two pump system for increased capability
* Note, the R2-S pump module has a maximum pressure limit of 10 bar.
How Does it Work ?
At the heart of the R2-S pump module is Vapourtec’s V-3 precision peristaltic pump. It’s capable of
- pumping at up to 10 bar, with flow rates from 0.02 mL/min to 10.0 mL/min
- handling strong acids, bases and organometallic reagents, as well as a range of gases
- generating smooth output flow across the full pressure range
A traditional peristaltic pump would be unsuitable for flow chemistry because
- it would not withstand the range of solvents and reagents required for chemical synthesis
- it could not generate sufficient pressure
- the output would not be smooth, constant flow rate
The Vapourtec V-3 (right) features advanced control for smooth output. The tube materials are specially developed in collaboration with a major global fluoropolymer manufacturer, resulting in a pump which can generate high pressures and is compatible with synthesis solvents, acids and bases.
A standard peristaltic pump runs at a steady rotational speed whereas the V-3 does not.
The exact rotational speed profile is complex and is a patented function of the flow rate, rotor position and pressure. The result of that behind the scenes complexity is total simplicity for the user.
Above: The Vapourtec R-Series