The Merger of Benzophenone HAT Photocatalysis and Silyl Radical-Induced XAT Enables Both Nickel-Catalyzed Cross-Electrophile Coupling and 1,2-Dicarbofunctionalization of Olefins
- Alberto Luridianaa, Daniele Mazzarellaa, Luca Capaldoa, Juan A. Rincónb, Pablo García-Losadab, Carlos Mateosb, Michael O. Frederickc, Manuel Nuñod, Wybren Jan Bumae and Timothy Noëla
- aFlow Chemistry Group, Van’t Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences (HIMS), University of Amsterdam, Science Park 904, 1098 XH Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- bCentro de Investigación Lilly S.A., Avda. de la Industria 30, Alcobendas-Madrid 28108, Spain
- cSmall Molecule Design and Development, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, United States
- dVapourtec Ltd. Park Farm Business Centre, Fornham St Genevieve, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk IP28 6TS, U.K.
- eMolecular Photonics, Van’t Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences (HIMS), University of Amsterdam, Science Park 904, 1098 XH Amsterdam, The NetherlandsRead the publication that featured this abstract
A strategy for both cross-electrophile coupling and 1,2-dicarbofunctionalization of olefins has been developed. Carbon-centered radicals are generated from alkyl bromides by merging benzophenone hydrogen atom transfer (HAT) photocatalysis and silyl radical-induced halogen atom transfer (XAT) and are subsequently intercepted by a nickel catalyst to forge the targeted C(sp3)–C(sp2) and C(sp3)–C(sp3) bonds. The mild protocol is fast and scalable using flow technology, displays broad functional group tolerance, and is amenable to a wide variety of medicinally relevant moieties. Mechanistic investigations reveal that the ketone catalyst, upon photoexcitation, is responsible for the direct activation of the silicon-based XAT reagent (HAT-mediated XAT) that furnishes the targeted alkyl radical and is ultimately involved in the turnover of the nickel catalytic cycle.
The Vapourtec R-Series is, quite simply, unrivalled for flow chemistry
- Flexible |
- Precise |
The R-Series is undoubtedly the most versatile, modular flow chemistry system available today.
The Vapourtec E-Series is the perfect introductory system for flow chemistry
- Robust |
- Easy to use |
The E-Series is a robust and affordable, entry level flow chemistry system designed for reliability and ease of use.