Liquid/liquid heterogeneous reaction monitoring: Insights into biphasic Suzuki-Miyaura cross-coupling
- Yusuke Sato1, Junliang Liu1, Ikenna Edward Ndukwe2, Maria Victoria Silva Elipe2, Daniel J. Griffin3, James I. Murray4,5, Jason E. Hein1,5,6,7
- 1Department of Chemistry, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1, Canada
- 2Pivotal Attribute Sciences, Drug Substance Technologies, Amgen, Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
- 3Pivotal and Commercial Synthetics, Drug Substance Technologies, Amgen, Inc., Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
- 4Pivotal and Commercial Synthetics, Drug Substance Technologies, Amgen, Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
- 5Acceleration Consortium, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
- 6Department of Chemistry, University of Bergen, Bergen, NorwayRead the publication that featured this abstract
Monitoring the reaction progress of biphasic reaction mixtures has long presented a significant challenge to modern analytical techniques. While a multitude of widely utilized chemical transformations have been performed under such conditions, in-line separation and analysis of each phase have not been possible, inhibiting detailed kinetic and mechanistic studies of these important processes. Herein, we disclose a novel sampling technology capable of accurately monitoring reaction progress in biphasic mixtures using online high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and multinuclear flow nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. A biphasic sampling platform was developed to circulate a single phase of a biphasic reaction mixture for analysis using these techniques. The utility of this methodology was demonstrated through analysis of boronic acid distribution and speciation under basic conditions as well as for monitoring the reaction progress of a biphasic Suzuki-Miyaura cross-coupling.
The Vapourtec R-Series is, quite simply, unrivalled for flow chemistry
- Flexible |
- Precise |
The R-Series is undoubtedly the most versatile, modular flow chemistry system available today.
The Vapourtec E-Series is the perfect introductory system for flow chemistry
- Robust |
- Easy to use |
The E-Series is a robust and affordable, entry level flow chemistry system designed for reliability and ease of use.