Chip-Scale Solar-Thermal-Electrical Power Generation
- Zhihang Wang1
- Zhenhua Wu2
- Zhiyu Hu2
- Jessica Orrego-Hernandez1
- Erzhen Mu3
- Zhao-Yang Zhang4
- Martyn Jevric1
- Yang Liu2
- Xuecheng Fu5
- Fengdan Wang5
- Tao Li4
- Kasper Moth-Poulsen1
- 1Chalmers University of Technology - Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- 2Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) - National Key Laboratory of Science and Technology on Micro/Nano Fabrication
- 3Henan Polytechnic University - School of Materials Science and Engineering
- 4Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) - Shanghai Key Laboratory of Electrical Insulation and Thermal Aging
- 5Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) - Center for Advanced Electronic, Materials and Devices (AEMD)Read the publication that featured this abstract
Electricity derived from photovoltaics is limited by solar intermittency. Storing solar energy for on-demand power production could address this challenge. Here, we combined both solution- and neat film-based molecular solar thermal (MOST) systems, where solar energy can be stored as chemical energy and released as heat, with microfabricated thermoelectric generators (MEMS-TEG) to produce electricity when solar radiation is not available. The novel small-scale hybrid integrated devices demonstrated continuous power densities of up to 1.3 W·m-3 by storing solar energy in Sweden then releasing heat and generating electricity in China. Our results show that, the proof-of-principle on a small scale and independent of time and geographical restrictions, opportunities exist for local solar energy storage and power production beyond traditional photovoltaic-electrochemical cell technologies.
Get in touch
For more information on flow chemistry systems and services please use the contact methods below.
Call us on +44 (0)1284 728659 or Email us
The Vapourtec R-Series is, quite simply, unrivalled for flow chemistry
- Flexible |
- Precise |
The R-Series is undoubtedly the most versatile, modular flow chemistry system available today.
The Vapourtec E-Series is the perfect introductory system for flow chemistry
- Robust |
- Easy to use |
The E-Series is a robust and affordable, entry level flow chemistry system designed for reliability and ease of use.