Bioprocess Intensification Using Flow Reactors: Stereoselective Oxidation of Achiral 1,3-diols with Immobilized Acetobacter Aceti
- Valerio De Vitis 1
- Federica Dall’Oglio 2
- Francesca Tentori 3
- Martina Letizia Contente 4
- Elisabetta Brenna 3
- Lucia Tamborini 2
- Francesco Molinari 1
- 1 Department of Food, Environmental and Nutritional Sciences (DeFENS), Università degli Studi di Milano, Via Celoria 2, 20133 Milan, Italy
- 2 Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences (DISFARM), Università degli Studi di Milano, Via Mangiagalli 25, 20133 Milan, Italy
- 3 Dipartimento di Chimica, Materiali ed Ingegneria Chimica “Giulio Natta” Politecnico di Milano, Via Mancinelli 7, I-20131 Milan, Italy
- 4 School of Chemistry, University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UKRead the publication that featured this abstract
Enantiomerically enriched 2-hydroxymethylalkanoic acids were prepared by oxidative desymmetrisation of achiral 1,3-diols using immobilized cells of Acetobacter aceti in water at 28 °C. The biotransformations were first performed in batch mode with cells immobilized in dry alginate, furnishing the desired products with high molar conversion and reaction times ranging from 2 to 6 h. The biocatalytic process was intensified using a multiphasic flow reactor, where a segmented gas–liquid flow regime was applied for achieving an efficient O2-liquid transfer; the continuous flow systems allowed for high yields and high biocatalyst productivity.
The Vapourtec R-Series is, quite simply, unrivalled for flow chemistry
- Flexible |
- Precise |
The R-Series is undoubtedly the most versatile, modular flow chemistry system available today.
The Vapourtec E-Series is the perfect introductory system for flow chemistry
- Robust |
- Easy to use |
The E-Series is a robust and affordable, entry level flow chemistry system designed for reliability and ease of use.